How the Grinch Saved My English Class

This is the last week I will see a lot of my students before the Christmas and New Year’s celebrations, so I decided to do something special.

I planned a lesson around the classic cartoon animation of “How the Grinch Stole Christmas!” I got some additional ideas to flesh out the lesson from breaking news english and from this helpful website. I quickly listened to the story and broke it up into pieces, asking comprehension and discussion questions after each section.

This worked out better than I could have hoped. I was a little nervous that my adult students wouldn’t be very interested in this, but they all seemed to enjoy it quite a bit. It’s a little something special and out-of-the-ordinary, and I think that was nice. And apart from Dr. Seuss’s made-up words, it’s relatively easy to understand, even for ESL students. It was also perfect because 99% of the students had never even heard of Dr. Seuss before, let alone this particular story. The other 1% saw the live-action movie with Jim Carrey but didn’t know the cartoon version. So it was really quite a great activity and I enjoyed watching this Christmas classic from my childhood.

Christmas shopping

I can’t believe Christmas is next week! I feel like I’ve been so busy this December that I haven’t been able to fully appreciate the Christmas season as much as I’d like to. However, the next week will be filled with all sorts of Christmas activities, including shopping. I have ideas for most people on my list, at least. We also have a lot to prepare for Tobi’s birthday on Sunday. We’re having a lot of people over to our apartment, which also means that we need to finish screwing things into the wall and cleaning up so it isn’t such a mess!

I’m excited. I’ve still been enjoying my Christmas tree, and I must also say that it is BEAUTIFUL with the real candles – we lit those one night this weekend when some friends were over. I have been converted; now I will always need some real candles on my tree.

What about you?  Have you ever had real candles on your Christmas tree?




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s