Construction zone

Our apartment is currently a construction zone. We finally convinced our senile old landlord to take care of our mold problems and so the kitchen, bathroom, bedroom and storage closet are getting various treatments. The kitchen is the biggest problem though, so they started on this first, stripping it down to the brick wall. The bricks are quite loose in some places, which also can’t be all that great for the insulation. The dehumidifier has to run a few days before they can put up the new wall.


Dealing with the landlord is always so frustrating. We basically had to breathe down his neck for him to finally get a move on fixing this. The problem is that he was an engineer and therefore thinks he knows EVERYTHING about how EVERYTHING works, and that a photographer who studied theology and an American English teacher couldn’t possibly know anything about how an apartment works. Sigh. They started this on Tuesday. I’m not sure when they’ll be back to finish up the kitchen and start on the other rooms, but I fear this may be a longer process than we’d hoped. It’s only been a few days and I already can’t wait to get our lives back to normal here. Everything from the kitchen and the closet is piled into the living room.

Sick day

Yesterday I had the second most awful headache of my life. My first migraine was in middle school and I remember seeing snow and flashes of lights, which apparently is known as an “aura”. Yesterday I didn’t have an aura, but I had all of the other symptoms of a migraine and it felt exactly how it looks on this picture from the Mayo Clinic.

It lasted a good (pretty awful, actually!) 12 hours and had me unable to do much more than lay in bed with a cold washcloth over my eyes. It started around noon, towards the end of my last morning class, and when I got home I took some ibuprofen and lay down for an hour, hoping it would go away. But it didn’t. So I had to call in sick to my evening classes (I really hate doing that, but there is no way teaching would have been possible the way I was feeling) and I spent the rest of the time in bed. The medicine made entirely no difference and it didn’t go away until this morning when I woke up.

Although my head still doesn’t feel entirely normal today, but perhaps it’s just fatigue. I’m so thankful I don’t get these kinds of headaches more often, like some people do. Hopefully that’s the last one for at least a very long while.

Tobias was sweet and took care of me, though, bringing me juice and snacks and refreshing my wet washcloth every once in a while. I’m glad he was there to help out.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s